PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION- Diasporas of India: Connecting, Contesting and Converging
Celebrating World Interfaith Harmony Week
World Interfaith Harmony Week is a UN resolution for a worldwide week of interfaith harmony proposed in 2010 by King Abdullah II and Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad of Jordan. The World Interfaith Harmony Week falls in the first week of February every year and aims to promote harmony between all people regardless of their faith. Read more: https://worldinterfaithharmonyweek.com
The theme for the World Interfaith Harmony Week this year is ‘Diaspora’. Diasporas are one of the most prominent and controversial manifestations of increased globalization. The connection between migrants and people who have stayed at home has profound effects on societies in the country of origin and the country of destination, as well as on diasporas themselves.
We at United Religions Initiative – North India and Afghanistan Zone are organizing a photography competition to celebrate this very spirit of World Interfaith Harmony Week and diaspora communities. India is a diverse country where diaspora communities from several countries and belonging to several faiths co-exist.
We are particularly looking for images that illustrate how diasporas connect with those back home, others in diaspora and more widely, the conflicting identities of diasporas; and how diasporas converge with other communities. The photograph must bring out diverse cultures/ traditions/ food habits/ festivals/ other habits as they coexist and thrive in a foreign land. The photograph need not be professionally clicked on a DSLR. Mobile photography is permitted. Please make sure that the photograph is of high quality and not previously published elsewhere.
• Give a name/title to the photo
• Briefly tell the story/description behind it (in 50-200 words)
Deadline and other details:
• Entries are restricted to one photograph per participant.
• The closing date and time for entries is 31st January 2021, by 12:00 pm IST.
• The competition is open to participants aged 16 years and above regardless of their country of residence.
• The photograph must be clicked in India or Afghanistan.
• Entries received after the deadline will not be accepted.
• The winners will be notified in the first week of February.
• After the competition closes, selected photos will be uploaded on URI’s social media platforms and blog to commemorate the celebration of World Interfaith Harmony Week.
• An e-certificate of participation will be given to all participants.
• Cash prizes (see details below) will be awarded to winners.
• Follow us on our Instagram and Facebook channels for more updates.
• Winners will be decided by a panel set up by URI.
• Queries (if any) can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Winner: Rs. 3000
First Runner-up: Rs. 2000
Second Runner-up: Rs.1000
To send in your entry for the competition, please fill this form: